Sec. 8C-4. - Public swimming pool, spa and hot tub barriers.
All new construction of public swimming pools, spas and hot tubs shall be provided with a permanent barrier complying with the following:
(1) The top of the barrier shall be at least forty-eight (48) inches above grade measured on the side of the barrier which faces away from the swimming pool. The maximum vertical clearance between grade and the bottom of the barrier shall be two (2) inches measured on the side of the barrier which faces away from the swimming pool. Where the barrier is mounted on top of the pool structure, the maximum vertical clearance between the top of the pool structure and the bottom of the barrier shall be four (4) inches.
(2) Opening in the barrier shall not allow passage of 4-inch diameter sphere.
(3) Solid barriers which do not have openings shall not contain indentations or protrusions except for normal construction tolerances and tooled masonry joints.
(4) Where the barrier is composed of horizontal and vertical members and the distance between the tops of the horizontal members is less than forty-fie (45) inches, the horizontal members shall be located on the swimming pool side of the fence. Spacing between vertical members shall not exceed 1 3/4 inches in width.
5) Where the barrier is composed of horizontal and vertical members and the distance between the tops of the horizontal member is forty-five (45) inches or more, spacing between vertical members shall not exceed four (4) inches. Where there are decorative cutouts within vertical members, spacing within the cutouts shall not exceed 1 3/4 inches in width.
6) Maximum mesh size for chain link fences shall be 2 1/4 inches square unless the fence is provided with slats fastened at the top or the bottom which reduce the openings to no more than 1 3/4 inches.
7) Where the barrier is composed of diagonal members, the maximum opening formed by the diagonal members shall be no more than 1 3/4 inches.
8) Pedestrian access gates with direct access to the pool, spa or hot tub, shall be equipped with self-closing and self-latching devices. The release mechanism on all such devices shall be located a minimum of fifty-four (54) inches above the pool deck floor or exterior grade level.
9) Where the release mechanism of the self-latching device is located less than fifty-four inches from the bottom of the gate, the release mechanism shall be located on the pool side of the gate at least three (3) inches below the top of the gate and barrier shall have no opening greater than 1/2 inch within eighteen (18) inches of the release mechanism.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION,
PLEASE CLICK TO THE RIGHT
ON THE MIAMI-DATE COUNTY CODE LINK
CALL 561-547-0939 OR EMAIL SALES@EASTMANALUMINUM.COM FOR MORE INFORMATION